Monday, January 31, 2011

A Small Introduction to Rhetoric in Film

The word “rhetoric” has a few different meanings. Its origin is both Greek and Latin, translating to mean “the art of rhetor”. Dictionary.com defined rhetoric as meaning “the art of influencing the thought and conduct of an audience” (“Rhetoric”, 2011, para.1). In film, writers, producers, and directors are using an art form, the film, to influence your thoughts and/or actions. For example, a movie about the effects of tobacco use could be trying to keep you from smoking cigarettes. Now, while most movies may just try to persuade you to think a certain way, some movies use rhetoric in their films to bring about a social change.

In order to understand rhetoric fully, I went to a website called Auburn.edu. The site was “intended as a guide to analyzing film rhetorically and writing about it” (“Introduction”, 2005, para. 1). Although the site is someone else’s final project from a college, the site contains a lot of very useful information. In order to examine a movie, we will use the three rhetorical appeals: logos, ethos, and pathos. Logos is also referred to as the logical appeal. According to the author, Kristen B. Miller, logical appeals are the facts about what is being sold”(“Logos(Logical Appeal)”, 2005, para 2), or what message you are being sent. Logos are very obvious in most films. Ethos is also referred to as the Ethical Appeal. According to the article “ethical appeals are usually made through the arguer’s credentials, the knowledgability with which they present themselves, their use of credible sources and their use of the appropriate tone” (“Ethos(Ethical Appeal), 2005, para 1). The last rhetorical appeal is Pathos, or the Emotional Appeal. Anything in a movie that is designed to get an emotional appeal out of the audience is an emotional appeal. So, for example in the movie The Boondock Saints when Murphy and Connor’s best friend Rocco is killed in front of them, is an emotional appeal.

To help you further understand how to analyze a film using these three rhetorical appeals, you will need to know some cinematography film terms. While in the editing process of a film, the selected editors use a “cut” or change from one shot to another without using a fade or other type of transition to move onto the next shot. For example, in Twilight, the editors cut away from Edward to Bella during  their conversation he saves her in the parking lot. Other transition techniques are fade, wipe, and dissolve. All of these are used to create the effects that writers, producers and editors want you to see. Lastly, long shots, medium shots, and close-ups are used to show things like the emotion in a characters face(close-up), or the atmosphere around them (medium shot) or the entire ship while its in warp speed while in space (long shot).

Now that you have some background on rhetoric in films, you can use it to watch your favorite movies or even movies that you disagree with, to find out what the underlying message is.

14 comments:

  1. This is a great opening post for your blog. I think it gives a broad sense of what rhetoric in film is about while providing a brief description of the key terms. I haven't had any previous exposure to this topic, however, based on your opening statements, I look forward to contributing to the dialogue on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog to be very informational which was of a lot of help since before reading your blog I had no idea what the word rhetoric meant or its use in film. Now that I have a little bit of understanding about rhetoric in film I will try to pay more attention to films to capture their underlying message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To what extent movies try to influence the audience? Are all movies geared towards achieving this goal? I believe that the art of cinemotography must entail all the elements of what is considered to be a good movie. I also think that movies and rhetoric might differ from culture to culture. What do you think?

    Furthermore, is propoganda a part of rhetoric or is it a separate theme. I do agree, however, that movies evoke some kind of emotion and have an uderlying message to the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you break it down it what rhetoric films are all about. I somtime try this out on commercials. Trying to figure out the real meaning or point there tring to get across. Next time I watch a movie I will try to find the logical, ethical, and emtional appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you define logos, ethos, and pathos. I could not agree more when we watch films i believe there is a meaning behind it. I never thought of watching a movie using these three rhetorical appeals. I would have to try it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In response to Olga: I do think that rhetoric differs from movie to movie based on the culture of the people who wrote the script and who are producing this film. I do think that all movies are geared to influence their audience in some way, even those movies that seem stupid and pointless. The movie Napoleon Dynamite seemed very stupid, uninteresting, and pointless. However, the movie still had a message that the writers were trying to get to their viewers.

    As far as propoganda and rhetoric in films are concerned I'm not sure actually. I would have to do more research on that subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that all movies are made to influence a certain type of audience and all have some type of meaning whether negative or positive. I also believe that are beliefs, age, and culture influence our way of interpreting the world especially in movies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope to see new posts from rhetoricinfilm. I think it is a great topic for discussion. I'm looking forward to reading about your new research.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would you be able to find some info on propoganda and how it is related to rhetoric in film? I am really curious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ive enjoy reading you post and to refernces to what olga said what is Propoganda. I'm curious to. I watch a movie called oh I forgot the name but I think it had this rhetoric in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I appreciate this blogs coverage and explanation of the term rhetoric and its use in film. Hopefully, in the next postings, this blog will get to the meat of the discussion and on to film examples that are more relevant in thier messages. Maybe something that would attract a more diverse audience. Let's not forget that films of all genres are the personal interpretations and/or opinions of the authors, producers, directors and actors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope to see more updated postings soon

    ReplyDelete
  13. In response to Afortune, here's a link to the definition of propaganda http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/propaganda, I hope that you can find it helpful in understanding what propaganda is. And in response to Olga, I'm looking up some more info about that as well. I'll have something for you within the next two or three future blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that this was a good explaination of what rhetoric really is. I had a class a few semesters back where we were to try to figure out the rhetoric in a film. The movie was Iron Man. It was interesting listening to the all of the classmate's perceptions on what they thought the rhetoric of the film was.

    ReplyDelete